St. Matthew Parish is a welcoming community offering inspirational worship and providing activities to grow in our faith by serving each other and the larger community.
St. Matthew Parish was founded in 1857 when the first church was dedicated, although Fr. E.J. Durbin and Fr. Roman Weinzapfel had been visiting Mt. Vernon since 1840. The present church was constructed in 1879. During the 32-year pastorate of Fr. Francis Liebbermann, the parish grew spiritually and physically, adding a school building that also served as a community center. Today St. Matthew Parish is still active in the community with a K-5 school, religious education for its youth, teens and adults and ministry programs. 2007 marked the 150th year of St. Matthew Parish in Mt. Vernon, Indiana. For a complete history of the Parish click on the following link.